Residential Care - UPA of NSW Ltd

Residential Care

Residential Care is available for people who are capable of living with a degree of independence but need a little support to manage day to day tasks. Other reasons for seeking residential care can be that a person lives on their own and is lonely and would like extra company in their life.

In Residential Care, UPA’s aim is to provide a well-maintained, comfortable home-like environment with experienced caring staff who can address a residents individual needs. Meals are served in a communal dining room and there are activity areas available for residents to gather, play games, watch entertainment or quietly read a book. Staff are on-site 24 hours a day and residents rooms all have emergency call buttons.

Residential Aged Care in Australia is subsidised by the Commonwealth Government and is governed by the Aged Care Act 1997 (the Act). The Department plays a vital role in developing policies, managing programmes and providing regulatory services to improve the quality of residential aged care in Australia. To enter Australian Government subsidised residential care, a person must first be approved as a care recipient. In order to determine a person’s eligibility and care needs, an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessment must be undertaken. Once the assessment has been completed, a member of an ACAT team will advise of how to access the residential care services that are available to you. You may like to ask a family member, friend of carer to sit in with you on the assessment for a little extra support.

You can also contact My Aged Care  ( which is an Australian Government website and phone line to help you find out what aged care services may be available to help you. They can be contacted by telephone on 1800 200 422 and you will be asked questions over the phone to help you work out your needs and care arrangements. ( © My Aged Care)

Fees vary depending on which UPA facility you are seeking accommodation at but include:

Basic daily fee
A basic daily fee is used to contribute towards your day-to-day living costs such as meals, cleaning, laundry, heating and cooling. Everyone entering an aged care home can be asked to pay this fee. The basic daily fee is set by the Department of Human Services and increases on 20 March and 20 September each year, in line with the changes to the Age Pension.

Means-tested care fee
This is an additional contribution towards the cost of care that some people may be required to pay. The Department of Human Services will work out if you are required to pay this fee based on an assessment of your income and assets, and will advise you of the amount. Please note that if you are a member of a couple, half of your combined income and assets are considered in determining your means-tested care fee, regardless of which partner earns the income or owns the asset.

There are annual and lifetime caps that apply to the means-tested care fee. Once these caps are reached, you cannot be asked to pay any more means-tested care fees. Any income-tested care fees you have paid in a Home Care Package prior to moving into an aged care home will also contribute to your annual and lifetime caps.

Accommodation Costs
This is for your accommodation in the home. Some people will have their accommodation costs met in full or in part by the Australian Government, while others will need to pay the accommodation price agreed with the aged care home. The Department of Human Services will advise which applies to you based on an assessment of your income and assets. Please note that if you are a member of a couple, half of your combined income and assets are considered in determining your eligibility for Government assistance with accommodation costs when you enter the home, regardless of which partner earns the income or owns the asset. ( © My Aged Care)

Fees for extra services or other additional care and services
Additional fees may apply if you choose a higher standard of accommodation or additional services. Extra service fees apply to residents in an extra service place. They are regulated and are intended to cover a higher standard of accommodation or services. Aged care homes with dedicated extra service places are now required to publish their extra service fees on the My Aged Care website, their own website and in other relevant materials they provide to prospective residents.


Other additional care and services and associated fees are not regulated, and are agreed between you and your aged care provider. These vary from home to home. Your aged care provider can give you details or financial advice.

You may want to consult with a financial adviser about your finances. There are various government services and resources that can help you obtain appropriate advice. It’s a good idea to do some research to see what options work best for you. (© My Aged Care)

Click on a link below for Residential Accommodation in UPA’s Regions:

It’s not unusual for a person’s needs to change as they get older and UPA’s Residential Centers offer residents the care that could not be provided in their own homes even with the availability of the UPA Home Care Packages.


Skip to toolbar